Skip to main content

The Case for Realistic Fiction

I’ve been reading literature that keeps taking me back to narrow Parisian lanes and Shakespeare and Co. 

In ‘The Paris Hours’, I had the pleasure of meeting Proust himself, and walking around a lush green garden that I imagined would be swarming with families and children enjoying a weekend together.

In ‘A Moveable Feast’, I spoke to Beach, remembering her kindness in ‘The Paris Hours’. In that other book about artists’ habits, I connected with Gertrude Stein’s obnoxious coffee habits. 

And now, in ‘Time was soft…’ I live in the bookstore itself, marveling at cheap Parisian dinners and at interesting conversations with fellow inhabitants. 

The iridescent bubble bursts and sputters and I am left ashamed at the liberties I have taken with reality.

Good writing may engross you, but you can never leave the physical realities of your being. 

As for me, I’m bound to my chair, its cushion and plush backrest giving no comfort to the increasing despondence of my knowledge that I have missed an important part of one’s education: gaining worldly experience.

These books that remind me of a time in Paris unlived, that make me nostalgic of times not spent meeting people from around the world, witnessing the Sun gently dip behind monuments, chocolate and cups of coffee not having swirled delectably around my mouth.

Is there a German word for this? 

I’m writing this now, at half-past six, having witnessed the quiet pale depth of the morning sky, the freshness of dawn having reinvigorated me. 

I am writing this accompanied by the multilingual Pink Martini and I haven’t ever felt closer to understanding the human experience.

I could be but myself-- I could be the hungry writer, writing against the backdrop of a great city, a young parent enjoying the day’s first cup of coffee, perhaps with a pen in hand.

I could be an old couple, reminiscing their days spent in Paris. 

It pains me how there are countless mornings in countless places I haven’t woken up to; countless people and their conversations I haven’t been made privy to; innumerable puns and laughs left unshared with me, countless mind-boggling discoveries I haven’t even vaguely heard of.

And thus, I find my way back to realistic fiction.

That there could’ve been a pre-teen boy in 70s America, finding his way to center-stage in Shakespearean plays aided by an unlikely mentor, finding comfort in siblinghood, deeply impacted by a close friend’s bar mitzvah or a man who’d lost his brother to invaders and fled to France, only to find peace in the flames that consumed his kin, or in parents left dumbfounded at a child’s unexpected suicide -- the possibility of there ever having been a family like that, a person like that, a gregarious group of friends like that, fulfills me. 

Realistic fiction speaks to you directly, unabashedly. It calls out to your sliver of the human experience and hopes to expand on it, to fill it with someone else’s story, so you could have lived a little more.

The case for realistic fiction is simple:

It is because you are.

 

 

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to: Personal Knowledge Management

Note Taking, Writing Better, and Building a Knowledge Base And a review of the book "How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers" by Sönke Ahrens. Context Last year, I read a book called "How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning, and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers" by Sönke Ahrens to improve my writing and notetaking skills. This blog post is meant for anyone who has never heard the word "Zettlekasten" or "Commonplace Notebook", and wants to get better at extracting and maintaining the information they consume.  We need four tools: · Something to write with and something to write on (pen and paper will do) · A reference management system (the best programs are free) · The slip-box (the best program is free) · An editor (whatever works best for you: very good ones are free) — Sönke Ahrens

How to: Quantum

As a continuation of the last post ( Newer Horizons Indeed ), this post will serve as a list of resources that are useful to study the basics of Quantum Computing, a few events that I personally enjoy tuning in to, and a general update about the Qiskit Summer School and the Qiskit Advocate Program. Resources for Learning These articles are a cornucopia of wonderful resources (such as  John Preskill's lecture notes ) on how to get started with Quantum Computing, developing a better understanding of Quantum Mechanics, as well as some resources for pre-undergrad (so mainly highschool-level) material for students to follow. Learning Quantum Computing Entry Points for Learning Quantum Computing The following resources are ones that I have used (before I'd come across the aforementioned articles, thanks to my mentor): Quantum Computing for the Very Curious  by Andy Matuschak and Michael Nielsen It's perhaps the most unconventional "textbook" I've ever used. It aims

2020 TBR: Redone!

Blarb (blurb + blab) There comes a time (usually the middle of the year) when a TBR (to-be-read) starts looking dull and uninteresting. To-be-reads or yearly reading lists tend to suffer from the current bias of being chosen for having great publicity, for being trendy due to societal disruptions, or for being a much-awaited addition to a series. Something of the sort happened to me mid-July [yeah, so not exactly the middle of the year, get over it]. Back in March, when I decided to add books to my 2020 reading list concretely , I thought I'd picked a fair assortment of non-fiction and fiction, of politics and climate change, of politics of climate change, of some core science books related to my domain of interest, and what would hopefully make for interesting reads by writers having a very different perspective than I. However, I soon got disenchanted with the fictional tales I'd chosen to read. I got annoyed at non-fiction authors for not coming to the point. I got deep int